Recent Mold Remediation Posts

Why You Should Purchase a Dehumidifier

2/23/2021 (Permalink)

When cleaning up water damage, commercial-grade dehumidifiers are excellent for sucking excess moisture from the air, helping to dry out the area and prevent further damage. While extraction of the standing water takes first priority, dehumidification prevents a variety of further problems such as improving air quality and reducing mold growth. If you don’t already have a dehumidifier, here are some benefits of why you should get one.

As mentioned in the paragraph above, the benefit of cleaner air is huge. Overly moist air is susceptible to catching a variety of airborne particles, contaminating your air. This could include dust, dead skin cells, and mold spores. Dehumidification reduces the number of particles in the air, making it easier and better for breathing.

Reducing moisture and maintain cleaner air is one of the best ways to prevent mold growth in your home. Mold grows by finding a damp, wet environment and then releases spores into the air which spread throughout your home until they find another surface to grow on. One of the reasons we at SERVPRO of Minot dehumidify areas that have been affected by water loss is to reduce the chance of mold growth.

While our commercial-grade dehumidifiers are excellent at removing large amounts of moisture from the air in homes and businesses, they are not affordable for the average person. However, many residential dehumidifiers are available that can be placed in a basement or other room and are specifically designed for a space of that size. Home dehumidifiers are affordable for most families and can be found in a variety of stores both online and in-person stores. If you have been considering buying a dehumidifier, there is no better time than now to make a purchase.

What to Do When You Find Mold in your Home

8/11/2020 (Permalink)

Discovering mold in your home can be a frustrating event. Not knowing how bad the problem is, how to remove it, the cost of a professional and whether or not your home is safe are just some of the thoughts you’ll have. To help relieve some of those worries, below are some tips to help manage your mold problem.

The first step to do is to call the mold experts at SERVPRO of Minot, we will immediately respond to your call and have staff on site to provide help and advice. Every discovery of growth is different and having experts take a look at it is important in deciding what to do next.

Until we are able to get staff on site, here are some tips on what to do.

Try and contain the area

If the growth is in a room that can be sealed off from the rest of the house. Air movement will spread the spores around and can lead to further growth throughout your home. Staying out of it until technicians can determine the extent of the problem is a good way to keep you and your family safe.

Stop the Source

Mold growth is accompanied by moisture from a leak or other water source. See if you can stop the leak or remove the source as this will help reduce further mold growth. If the area is wet and needs to be dried, do not turn on fans as that will spread mold growth further around the room and house. Call SERVPRO and we can remedy both the water damage and mold growth.

Contact Your Agent

Contact your insurance agent and see if your home has a mold policy. This will go a long way towards saving you money on the remediation. If you don’t have a policy, call your agent and talk to them about adding it to your existing coverage.

The best tip on how to handle the discovery of mold in your home is to remain calm and let the trusted experts at SERVPRO take care of you and your home, providing you with all the information you need to remediate the problem.

Why we Test For Mold

6/24/2020 (Permalink)

Blog post photo We are the only mold remediation company in the Minot area which tests for mold to confirm removal!

Mold is one of the most challenging projects we encounter. This is due to the location of mold being in dark, hard to reach areas such as basements or behind dry wall and flooring.  Which means that our remediation efforts are hard to judge just by sight and the only way to truly know how much of an impact was made, it to test the air quality.

Mold releases spores into the air which then accumulate on organic, wet material to grow the mold that we see. While these spores are everywhere and basically harmless, mold infected areas such as basements become hot spots for spores as they stay in the stagnant air flow of the basement and multiply into dangerous levels. If unchecked, these hot spots can lead to extreme mold growth which damages surrounding organic material such as support beams and frames, along with potential health risks.

To make sure we remove all spores and thereby the ensuing growth, we conduct a series of tests in and out of the area. Before we begin work, we test both the suspected growth area along with an area we know is not impacted to develop a control. Within 24 hours we have the results from the test and know what kind of mold is growing in the area and the associated health effects that come with that type of mold.

Once we have finished our mold remediation, which involves removing and replacing impacted materials, applying synthetic products to prevent future growth, and using filtered vacuums to remove airborne spores, we then test the area afterwards to ensure all mold material was removed.

We are the only mold remediation company in the Minot area which tests for mold to confirm removal.

By testing, we remove any doubt as to the effectiveness of our efforts, and make sure the customer is not wasting money. With most types of cleaning you can see whether or not you were successful, but with mold there is no way to be sure without testing, which is why we encourage the use whenever we are called to do mold remediation.

Why You Should be Concerned about Mold.

4/27/2020 (Permalink)

Health Risks

There are over 10,000 kinds of mold. While most of these are not going to cause adverse heath problems, a certain percentage can. It is important to remove mold quickly and safely from your house to avoid health effects that are linked with mold.

Property Risks.

In addition to the health risks, mold can cause damage to floors, walls, and ceilings that cost thousands of dollars in repair costs. By attaching to organic materials, mold leaves unsightly stains and smells throughout the area and can spread throughout your home if not removed. For those trying to sell their homes, this can drastically reduce home value.

Mold damage is caused by humid and moist environments. Typical areas include crawl spaces, bathrooms, and basements, although mold growth can occur anywhere. Monitoring these areas for water leaks, high humidity, and making sure they have ventilation will go a long way in preventing damage from mold. If mold spores make their way into your heating and ventilation systems, they can spread throughout your entire house, causing growth to happen all over your home.

Although mold can not grow on inorganic surfaces such as concrete, brick, rock or glass, mold can grow on the dirt on those surfaces. If an uncleaned area accumulates a high amount of dust or dirt which is then exposed to moisture either from a leak or high humidity, there is potential for mold growth.

Things you can do

You can prevent mold damage before it occurs. If left untreated, the cost for removal can go from hundreds to thousands of dollars quickly, and beyond your insurance coverage. Make sure to act as soon as you have suspicions of mold.

Here are ways to prevent mold growth:

  1. Control moisture. Keep the humidity level under 60 percent.
  2. Dry up wet materials quickly. It only takes mold two days to grow.
  3. Clean, disinfect, and dry surfaces prone to mold growth.
  4. Repair leaks. Replace dilapidated old pipes. Fix leaks on the roof, walls, and foundation of the house. Unclog HVAC units drain regularly.
  5. Improve airflow at home. Start with opening closet doors more frequently and moving furniture far from walls to providing better ventilation to confined spaces. The more windows you can open, the better.

Bleach Does Not Kill Mold

5/12/2019 (Permalink)

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not recommend using bleach to kill or remove mold. The idea that bleach can kill mold is a myth!


The chemical structure of bleach makes it unable to penetrate porous surfaces like drywall or wood, which means that mold membranes will simply retreat deeper into whatever surface they're on to avoid the chemical. Once first exposed to bleach, the mold recognizes it as a threat and can actually use it as a fungal food to grow more rapidly.

That's right – using bleach to kill mold can actually feed the problem, and depending on the amount of bleach and concentration may actually damage materials and structures.


Mold can grow anywhere inside of your home where moisture is present and there is a food source. Mold flourishes in moist environments, so from a small leak in a wall or improper attic ventilation can lead to mold growth. If you notice any signs of excess moisture such as water spots, floors buckling or bubbling, make sure to have a professional come out to inspect it.

If your basement has either flooded or has ongoing excess moisture, make sure to have that evaluated as well. These preventative measures can help save you money, prior to mold growth occurring.

If mold is discovered, do not try to clean it yourself. Sprays and chemicals can often worsen the issue. Remember, there is no one solution to kill mold. The cause must be treated, then the mold is to be professionally mitigated so all mold can be removed.