Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Mold can cause damage across a wide range of things you find valuable. From your home value, to your health, mold should always be inspected to access its threat level. Here are some things to know about mold.
- There is no "do-it-yourself" way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
From the Environmental Protection agency. https://www.epa.gov/mold/ten-things-you-should-know-about-mold
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (701) 852-7378
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Minot for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Minot has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities: