What to do if a Fire Starts in Your Kitchen
A scenario that everyone fears happening, you are cooking your meal in your kitchen when suddenly there is a burst of energy and flames erupt! What happens next can be the difference between the safety of yourself, your family, and your home. Here are some tips for what to do if there is ever a fire in your kitchen.
- Grease fires can not be put out with water. If you are using cooking oil or cooking foods that give off large amounts of grease and they ignite into a fire, throwing water on that fire will only cause the water to vaporize into steam which can cause burns to yourself as well as increase the flare of the fire. Instead, try and cover the flame with a lid or dish that will cut off the oxygen supply and eventually put out the flame. If you can safely turn off the heat source, that will help as well.
- If there is a fire in your oven or microwave, do not open the door. Instead, turn off the heat source and let the flame die out on its own. Opening the door can allow fresh oxygen to reignite the flame which would otherwise die out.
- Do not try to put the fire out by swatting at it with a towel or cloth. This will only fan it and increase the possibility of it spreading onto that towel or cloth. Instead, try smothering it with a large, wet towel. Quickly soak the towel and cover the whole pan with it to try and put out the flames. If it is already too big of a fire this will not work.
- Make sure to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen that is easily accessible. This is your best bet for putting out the fire before it causes any further damage as well as the safest option for you.
The one thing you should remember about kitchen fires is that you should never try and be a hero. You will know almost immediately whether you can put the fire out and should call 9-1-1 if you have any doubts about if you will be successful. Even a small fire can spread quickly and waiting for it to get out of control can be the difference between having a smokey kitchen and suffering from catastrophic fire damage. If you can not contain the fire immediately, call 9-1-1 for help.